Empowerment through story is my passion
Since my training as a biographer for people with terminal illnesses in 2006 I have been deeply honoured and privileged to walk alongside people during the final chapters in their life.
Over the course of my work in healthcare, I have seen the power of story to heal, connect, and transcend time.
Empathetic & Compassionate Listener
Having trained and supervised teams of biographers, I have committed myself to honouring and celebrating the stories of those facing life changes. I am:
- Emotionally mature and intelligent – highly aware of my inner world so I can bring presence and full attention to my interactions
- A reflective listener
- Able to use discretion and good judgment – particularly around family dynamics, privacy and confidentiality
- Empathetic and able to understand people’s emotional world
- Non-judgmental and appreciative of the richness in diverse life experiences
- Professional, reliable, warm and with good humour
- An excellent writer and designer – attentive to the details in lovingly crafting life storybooks
A twice fellow for The School for Social Entrepreneurs, in 2011 I founded the charity Beyond Words, a community of volunteer biographers for residents in aged care homes. I was privileged to recruit, train and supervise a dedicated team of biographers who have assisted hundreds of residents in aged care to share their story.
Life & Work Experience
I have been honoured to work with men, women and carers, from diverse backgrounds and helped to tell stories of triumph in the midst of living with cancer, early-stage Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, memories of war service, travel, migration to Australia, and cultural assimilation. And amongst it all, there have been the everyday but no less important personal and family stories – and the hopes, dreams and cultural meanings that these stories carry.
I sincerely hope you and your family find lasting joy in this unique experience that is the Matter of Life.
Life Story Facilitator|Mentor|Editor|Publisher
I have worked closely with people with serious illness and their families and produced the industry approved Affirming Life: What is a palliative approach? A guide for family and friends with a loved one in aged care.
Other publications include articles for The Good Men Project, Evaluation of the Eastern Palliative Care Biography Service, and several professional health journals.
Training & Certificates
University educated in psychology, I trained as a biographer for palliative care by Eastern Palliative Care in 2006 and later went on to train biographers through Beyond Words. In 2017 I completed Mental Health First Aid training and also an Adobe authorised InDesign course.
- 2017, December 1: A New Beginning
- 2017, December 20: What is the gift of story?
- 2018, March 22: Shared Dreaming
- 2018, May 1: Courage in Story
- 2018, May 10: The HER-story of Mothers & Grandmothers
- 2018, June 21: A Story of Devotion & Undying Love
Memberships, Friendships, Affiliations & Supporters
- Aveo Independent Living & Aged Care
- Beyond Words
- Bank Australia – Responsible Banking
- Centre for Cultural Diversity in Ageing
- COTA Victoria – The voice of older Australians
- International Institute of Complementary Therapists (IICT)
- Meaningful Ageing Australia
- MND Victoria
- Original Self – The Art of You
- Peninsula Home Hospice
- Seniors Online
- The Groundswell Project
- The School for Social Entrepreneurs
- Tincan | Powered by imagination
- U3A Bayside
- U3A Deepdene
- U3A Hawthorn